Sometimes I forget that everyone else is not surrounded by Down syndrome,That my child may be the first child they have ever met that has DS, That the looks or misspoken words are just from not knowing.
I am surrounded by down syndrome, my little man has Down syndrome, I see it all day long. Not only him but most of my friends on facebook are parents of children with DS or they are advocates for Reece's Rainbow. Most the blogs I read are about children and Families that have DS in their lives. I see picture after picture of cute little kids with DS all day long. So it is just so normal to me, as normal as Vahnya having red hair and brown eyes, it's just him.
It's so normal to me that now I don't see it if that makes any sense. Sometimes I forget Vahnya has Down syndrome and I wonder when we go out if people notice it or can tell. I forget and then someone will say something or smile at him in that knowing way and I remember.
Down syndrome is just part of my life I forget that it is not part of everyones lives. I wish it were the world would be a much happier place.
I can't wait to welcome into our lives another little boy who also has Down syndrome.
Our little 7yo daughter can stretch out just like your son here. I always think it is so amazing the agility that she has, and then to see your son. Too cute. I find that DS is so normal for us, too. I forget my daughter lives with it. She's different but every child is unique. People generally are kinder and more thoughtful to her. I enjoyed your straightforward approach of talking as you blogged. Thank you. -Deborah Baker, Nova Scotia, Canada
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your blog when you were adopting your son. As to whether or not he looks like he has DS, I would have to say he looks like a phenomenon - something unique and amazing! He is beautiful.
ReplyDelete